The Ethical Leadership Commission
Welcome to the webpage of the Framework for Ethical Leadership in Education.
We launched the Framework on January 25 2019 (photos will be available here soon) so our information and materials will develop as we grow.
The Framework is designed to help busy school leaders take good decisions.
Who are we?
The Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) commissioned an Ethical Leadership Commission in June 2017. You can read our Final Report Navigating the Education Moral Maze here. It had very strong participation from members and has already had an effect on public discourse about schools and their leadership. Our Framework, included within the report, will now help to plot the new landscape.
We want the language of values and virtues to be part of everyday decision-making for four main reasons:
- School are where society looks after its young until they are old enough to assume the mantle of adult responsibility
- School leaders have to be diligent and trusted professionals and public servants
- Every decision and judgement school leaders make sets an example to children and should promote ethical behaviour in succeeding generations: how we do things is as important as what we do.
- In a landscape where schools are of many different sorts and responsible to many different people, society must be able to rely thousands of individual decision-making leaders to do the right thing, themselves.
The Ethical Leadership Commission has three legacies:
- The Framework for Ethical Leadership in Education (FELE), included in the final report, and the Pathfinder Programme which will road-test the words in school-level decision-making.
- Our continuing work to embed the FELE in teacher and leader training, through the CCT and other means.
- The Ethics Forum.
You can find out about these using the links below.
If you’d like to talk about our work, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com .