We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy as a member of the Chartered College and/or as a user of our website.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting our site you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of data protection legislation, the data controllers are The Chartered College of Teaching (formerly known as The College of Teachers, pending the sealing of a new Royal Charter in early 2017) and The College of Teaching Ltd, both of 9 – 11 Endsleigh Gardens, London, WC1H 0EH. “We” in this policy refers to both entities as joint data controllers.
Information we collect from you
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. This is information about you that you give us by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail, post or otherwise, or via in-person contact. It includes information you provide when you register to use our site, register to become a member of The Chartered College of Teaching, subscribe to our newsletter, book any workshops, events and conferences on our site, participate in discussion boards or other interactive services on our site, search for a product or place an order on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
- Information we collect about you, including from other sources. We will gather information from you, and obtain information about you from third parties, via your attendance at any workshops, events and conferences and any other activities involving data collection such as payment services and analytic providers. In addition, each time you visit our site we will automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet and your login information; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) visited, clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time) and length of visits to certain pages.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
if you are a member of The Chartered College of Teaching:
- to administer your membership including sending you subscription renewals;
- to maintain relevant contact including keeping you updated about information which forms part of your package of membership benefits and relevant information from third parties we feel may interest you;
- to notify you of changes to your membership
- to communicate with you for any other reason related to your membership;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any other contract entered into between you and us including any workshops, events and conferences booked by you; and
- to maintain the member directory.
whether or not you are a member of The Chartered College of Teaching:
- to send you our newsletter, if you subscribed to it;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to enable us respond to any queries by you;
- to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide information about products and services we feel may interest you; and
- to notify you about changes to our service.
You will have the opportunity to unsubscribe from receiving particular types of communication at any time by following the unsubscribe directions provided by us or by contacting us at email@example.com
In addition, if you do not wish to be contacted by us by any particular means, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our site, when you choose to do so;
- to allow you to participate in workshops, events and conferences, which you choose to attend; and
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
Information we receive from other sources. We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
You agree that we have the right to share your personal information with:
- any member of our group; and
- selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you, including for your attendance at any workshops, events and conferences; and
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if The Chartered College of Teaching or The College of Teaching Ltd, or substantially all of their assets, are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by them about the members will be one of the transferred assets;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply our Membership Conditions and Terms of Website Use, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Chartered College of Teaching or The College of Teaching Ltd or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site, and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Retention of your personal data
If you are a member of The Chartered College of Teaching, your information will be retained by us for as long as you wish to remain a member and for a period of 6 months after your membership expires or terminates in order to deal with any necessary follow-up action.
In all cases, your information will be retained by us for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was retained.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information and correction
Please contact us if you would like to correct or request information that is held relating to you. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.